Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jeff's First US Tour of 2011 – blog #3 (day 13)

Miles Driven - 1840
Average Speed - 48 mph
Miles Per Gallon - 32

I am playing at least one show every day during this show, but today is a bit like a day off - I have little driving to do, and will only be playing for about an hour later this evening. So I have been able to get some things done today, like booking work and getting to this blog entry!

We left off after my first visit to the small town of Forest, VA, and a coffee shop there that I rather liked, called The Good Cherry.

After the show, we would hit the road to Charlottesville, VA, where we would spend the night. There were thunderstorm warnings all over the place for the night, but we didn't drive through anything worth mentioning. I have driven through some bad storms, including one about the same time last year, but the weather has thankfully been very tame so far. We caught up some with our hosts in Charlottesville, and called it a night.

Thursday the 24th was set to be a busy day. We got up in the morning, had a quick breakfast, repacked the car, and head out to Dulles Airport near Washington, DC. My wife would be leaving for a conference in Chicago, and her week on tour would come to a close. It was pretty great having her along for the first week. We were invited to have lunch with a former family at my wife's school. The family had relocated to the DC area, and we went to a Japanese restaurant. It was delicious.

I dropped my wife off at the airport, and then had some time to kill. I headed out to Alexandria, VA, where I would be staying the next couple of nights. I unpacked my car, and put food from my cooler in the fridge. I didn't have too long to unwind there, as I would be performing in Fredericksburg, VA that evening. So I did a bit of backtracking to go there for the evening's show.

I met up with one of the other performers for dinner at the venue, a couple hours before the start of the show. After eating, I posted the first Tour Blog for this current tour. Then it was time for the show to begin. I have not been playing in Fredericksburg long, and am still figuring out the venues there. The venue I have been playing at gives a demonstration of one of live music's paradoxes: Oftentimes, higher attendance at shows results in fewer people paying attention. The last time I performed, attendance was rather slim, but I mentioned to sell several cds. This evening's show was well-attended, but I didn't sell any cds to anyone in the audience, and it was a pretty loud environment. Not the best thing for live music, unfortunately.

The following 4 nights of the tour would bring back to back to back to back Listening Room shows, and one of the better weekend(+)s of my entire touring career.

Tune in for the 4th blog to read about those 4 shows!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home